The mission of the Missouri Budget Project is to improve the quality of life for all Missourians by informing public policy decisions through objective research and analysis of state budget, tax and economic issues.
In fulfilling its mission, MBP is committed to meeting the following quality standards:
• Accuracy and Objectivity: Providing independent information that is non-biased, accessible, consistent and timely.
• Integrity: Being mission driven
• Collaboration and Cooperation: Working with partners to educate Missourians and expand civic engagement.
• Diversity: Involving people representative of Missouri in its work.
• Flexibility: Being able to adapt to changes in the public policy environment.
Principles that Guide Our Work
The Missouri Budget Project provides independent, objective research and analysis of state budget and tax issues. The following principles underlie MBP’s work:
• Quality services (health, education, transportation, etc.) provide the foundation upon which a strong economy is built.
• Government plays an integral role in providing quality services.
• All Missourians should share responsibility for the provision of services.
• Transparent and accountable decision-making regarding the expenditure of public funds enhances public trust.
• Quality information is required for good decision-making.
• Public engagement ensures good decisions and is important to ensure transparency and accountability
Through its published analyses and educational activities, the Missouri Budget Project is a resource for policymakers, advocates, community leaders, and members of the media.